Progress Through Good Governance
• Govern with fiscal responsibility.
• Govern equally—equal representation, equal progress for all.
I will not receive my salary. My salary will be donated
to nonprofit organizations through a process determined by a board of nonprofit presidents.
Two Percent (2%) Land Fund
I will keep and maintain the full intent of the original draft amendment of the 2% Land Fund.
• Expedite existing plan already in place.
• I will work with the County Council to introduce legislation to allocate a one percent (1%) Workforce Housing Fund.
• Offer tax credits/subsidies to encourage developers to invest in affordable housing. Less regulations— less cost of construction.
• I will work with the County Council to reduce regulations and make it easier for our people to apply and get approval for “OHANA HOUSING” to accommodate large and extended families.
• Partner with HUD, State and Real Estate investors to build affordable housing.
• Create walkable community—“Home-To-Work Program.” Inform property owners of the possibility of increasing density to a walkable community.
• New development must be concurrent with proper infrastructure and public parks.
No Tax Increase
• Control and reduce spending without sacrificing quality of service.
• Control waste, procurement and overtime wages.
• Hire on-call or casual workers to reduce or eliminate overtime wages.
• Balance the budget on existing revenue.
• Set priorities starting with public safety, law & order, health & welfare, public services, economic security.
• Hiring freeze.
• Department quarterly audits making sure it is in line with budget forecast.
We will expedite projects to avoid delays and cost overruns
• For example, the sewer project on Hamburger Hill behind McDonald’s took years to get started. The cost went up in comparison with the original bid.
• Who pays for the increase? We—the taxpayers.
Create a Disaster Relief Fund / “Rainy Day Fund”
• This fund is for emergency use only.
• I will appoint an independent commission to oversee and determine the dispensation of the fund.
Community Meeting / Talk Stories
• We will schedule quarterly community meetings throughout the nine districts of the Big Island, to talk about issues, concerns and solutions.
• I will form an “Action Commission” to research and work on issues, concerns and find solutions.
• The “Action Commission” will report directly to the Mayor.
Maunakea (TMT Project)
• I support the study of astronomy. It is good for our next generation—our keiki .
• While I support the study of astronomy, we must be mindful of our host culture—we must be sensitive toward their religious beliefs and cultural practices.
• Laws that are already in place must govern.
• “Talk Story” among the leadership to find common ground.
• Will collaborate with the State on job training program.
• Will collaborate with the school Juniors and Seniors to do “On-The-Job Training Program.”
• Invest in our community; put our people to work by improving infrastructure, roads and beaches.
• Promote “Sports Tourism” i.e. fishing tournaments, sports activities, that will host neighbor island, national and international athletes.
• Encourage and assist small business formation. i.e. diversified farming, Service and Retail.
• Encourage and promote “Made In Hawai‘i” products—”Buy Local, Support Local.”